Author Topic: 365 Velvet Drive Heat Exchanger ?  (Read 92 times)

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
365 Velvet Drive Heat Exchanger ?
« on: April 07, 2019, 12:39:25 AM »
hello!
My 365 fitted with W40 has a velvet drive transmission. A friend was discussing with me that thee Velvet Drive should have a heat exchanger on it, but doesnt.
It does have the smallest of air radiators fitted to the inlet outlet tubes of the oil cooler, it would be about 6" x 2" max, and is like many auto trans coolers before they became integral to radiators.

My question is, is that typical of Velvet drives on W40's? Should it/could it be a bigger air cooled unit?
Or should it have a raw water based heat exchanger more typical of water cooled engine fitments.

The only photo I have of it was from when I bought Zaya where it was found laying on top of the trans
I later took it off and cleaned it, installed it upright fixed after having swapped out the hose, see photo
Further South than South is
Hull #103

PeteW

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 365 Velvet Drive Heat Exchanger ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
Yeah I'd definitely invest in a marine quality heat exchanger. Most put it inline with the raw water from the Walter V drive. And nix those hose clamped lines. Those will not hold up under hydraulic pressure. They should be crimped hydraulic hose assemblies.

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 365 Velvet Drive Heat Exchanger ?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 07:44:30 AM »
well that sounds right I guess.
Thanks for adding where to hook it in
Further South than South is
Hull #103