Author Topic: Walter V-drive Identification  (Read 66 times)

SV Alfresco

• View Profile
Walter V-drive Identification
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:48:19 PM »
I looking to buy a folding propeller. One of the things I need to know is the gear ratio. And I'm having trouble reading the plate on the v-drive. I think the drive is an RV-10. It looks just like the one in the manual. I've attached a picture of the plate and it looks like the ratio is 1.20/1. Is that the final ratio I have to use for getting the right prop. The original fixed prop is a two bladed 18L X 10, I believe. The engine is a 39hp Yanmar and I have the Yanmar transmission. I looking at a flex-o-fold 2 blade. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:16:21 PM by SV Alfresco »

SV Alfresco

• View Profile
Re: Walter V-drive Identifaction
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:45 AM »
Heard from Walter. It is an RV-10. They said to always refer to the serial number as there are about 30 different style rv-10s.

SVJourney

• MSN Messenger - wayne_seitz@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
    • Email
Re: Walter V-drive Identifaction
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 05:22:11 PM »
Even then its very simple to change the gear ratio to match your repower by replacing gears inside the box..  So to tell what the ratio is now mark the input and output shafts and watch them rotate to calculate the ratio.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

SV Alfresco

• View Profile
Re: Walter V-drive Identification
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 08:15:37 PM »
Have much searching, I found that the transmission I have is a ZF10M which mates perfectly for the power of the Yanmar 3JH4E: 39hp. The transmission has a gear ratio of 1.48 for forward and 1.86 for reverse.  The RV-10 has a ratio of 1.29. Combining the 2 ratios for forward gear would give me ratio of 1.91 at the prop, if I'm calculating this right. I want to know this because Flex-o-fold wants to know the gear ratio use use in calculating the pitch of the propeller.

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:17:40 PM by SV Alfresco »