Author Topic: Walkabout Pilot Berth conversion to Cabinet Space and other tasks  (Read 203 times)

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
In my search to optimize living space aboard WalkAbout, I converted the pilot berth to cabinet space.  Still need to install dividers between the cabinets and it was my first time building louvered doors, but I am happy with the result. I used sapele, a tropical, mahogany like lumber that is sustainably harvested. I was so happy with he outcome and the router setup is so fussy, just kept going and replaced the locker door opposite the head with a louvered version as well. I anticipate the locker well say fresher when foulies are stored there.

I've now begun building out additional cabinet space to port above the settee lockers. That side will get, at most, a couple of doors and the rest will be book shelves. The sliding plexiglass paneled space was ugly and did not yield much additional space. I intend to bump the face frame out to line up with the lower lockers.

This was a follow on project to insulating the hull with urethane foam and lining with vboard pine planks (properly called ceiling). That was an ordeal, but I managed to insulate almost 50% of the living space last winter with 1 1/2-2" of foam-the boat is much easier to heat and  condensations is greatly reduced.
Lets see if I can master the picture upload process...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:18:14 PM by jpendoley »

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Walkabout Pilot Berth conversion to Cabinet Space and other tasks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 03:19:20 PM »
and can someone please explain why my pictures rotate when I upload them?

Nereid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:47:49 AM »
Are you guys living aboard her?
I just made a bed for the berth.. even though we wind up putting junk in there ha.
How did you insulate the hull? I am very curious about that.
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »
I insulated with sprayable urethane foam, its messy to work with and temperature dependent, but is tenacious and eliminates condensation wherever it is attached. I glass in ribs, rip and shiplap battens, spray the foam, sand with a sander and vacumme attachment, attach battens and voila! Keeps the boat drier in the winter, warmer in the shoulder months, quieter below and cooler in the summer. It is a pain to do, but since I'm pulling cabinets and such, I decided to do it. So far, I have done the entire galley space from rail to waterline, the nav station space (removed and reinstalled nave station), above both port and starboard settes, the forward locker opposite the head and the head. Boat warms up much faster when I turnon the Planar diesel heater. Next year I tackle the vberth.

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »
I liveaboard in Massachusetts eight months a year-I've doe it year round in an uninsulated boat-never again. Below is a picture of the job I completed on my old boat-a Pearson Vanguard. I wintered aboard her for years after insulating and it was a treat.

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 12:41:08 PM »
And sorry for the vertigo with the pics-this bulletin board ap seems to rotate pictures randomly!

Nereid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
Ha!! Awesome! And not to worry.. Im used to viewing things at very odd angles (in fact i often can only recognize it from an awkward angle since that's the only way most boat things can be viewed).
Interesting I had wondered about adding insulation, since the past few winters aboard feel cold inside when ever it drops into the low 40s (cold for south Texas!! and it snowed last)
Those cabinets look pretty good.. What is the layout by the way?
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
My boat is sloop rigged. It has a hood in mast furler which I love in heavier air but hate in light air.  The sail has to have less roach to furl properly, so I find the light air performance disappointing. thinking of talking to my sailmaker about a solution-possibly convert to an external strong track.
Below decks, its the standard aft galley to port, settees port and starboard head and the vberth. My shower was removed, which makes the main cabin roomier, but I am in the process of putting it back in.
If not for the light air performance, the boat is perfect for my needs.
280 watts of solar on the davits, wind gen and 450 AMPS of batteries keep the rebuilt fridge running 7x24

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 07:19:00 AM »
Jpenoley,

What did you use for the sprayed urethane foam?  Those cans from Home Depot/Lowes or some other setup?

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
The insulation goes by various names, itís not the little cans used to seal gaps. Sometimes they are called froth packs. You can also order online by searching for spray foam.They are sold as two container kits that come with a hose and single use gun. Squeeze the trigger and the product mixes in the correct ratio and comes out the nozzle as a sticky liquid that rapidly expands and cures to a dry sandable foam.
A couple of practice sprays and a through read of the directions ensures good results. Not too pricey, especially if you are doing distinct areas at a time the way I have been incrementally doing it. For example, Ií estimate the vberth would cost $2oo in foam kit. The work is really in glassing in the ribs to support the battens and even that is not to bad as they donít need to be particularly strong. Making the battens is tedious, but pleasant millwork -and you could certainly substitute a different covering material. For the foam ribs, to accommodate the curve of the hull itís easiest to cut the ribs into 4Ē sections and spot glue them in place with hot glue-then glass over them. The foam is acting as a form for the glass cloth and also ensures no cold spots. I used epoxy for the cloth but dissolves the foam if I recall correctly. Very satisfying project (if you like projects).

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »
Making progess-just need to cover screw holes, put in dividers and build doors!