News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Aquavane & tiller pilot

Started by S/V AMITY, January 03, 2019, 08:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S/V AMITY

Anyone install an Aquavane with a tiller auto pilot?  Advantage I see is that it gets the autopilot gubbins out of the quadrant area.  With the vane's tiller steering capability, it looks like the tiller pilot could be mounted outside the cockpit area. 

Nereid

Is that the HydroVane your talking about?
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/

S/V AMITY

OOPS...  yup, Hydrovane.  Seems like it would be a better fit on a 365 transom (can be off center) than a Monitor vane and can fill in as an emergency rudder.  Does anyone here have any feedback/experience on a Hydrovane?

Nereid

There is someone on the forum that has one on their 365 I believe.
Also, I think the monitor can be mounted off set as well..
I know the Cape Horn can be mounted off center after speaking with them, just requires extra hardware. The Cape Horn is also cheaper than the HydroVane.

...Plus you can watch in in action if you ever see a documentary "sailing with Jean-du-sud" .
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

eveningebb

I've been very happy with my Hydrovane.  It's mounted in the center of my transom.  You do need to be careful with the mizzen boom since it could interfere with the vane, but I've never found it to be a problem (use a preventer on the mizzen boom to be sure). 
S/V Evening Ebb
1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hull #276
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/eveningebb

Nereid

So when you tack do you just lift the boom over the vane or how does your transom space work?
Thanks!
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

eveningebb

I've primarily used the hydrovane offshore where tacking is not really an issue.  Were I to have to tack (or gybe) I'd probably remove the  vane that sticks up, tack or gybe, and then replace the vane.  Alternatively, you could tilt the vane back and life up the topping life on the boom and the boom would clear the vane as you tacked or gybed.  It would not be feasible if you had to do this often, but a wind vane is set up for long offshore passages not inshore work.  If you were using it with a tiller pilot (autopilot) you'd probably remove the vane anyway, so then you could tack or gybe at will.
S/V Evening Ebb
1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hull #276
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/eveningebb

Nereid

Thank you very much for the insight.. that will be down the road for sure!!

Btw has anyone done the linear drive autopilot install on a 365? And how it works in high seas?
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

Nereid

Yes but Sea Dragon has a 367 and I have found a large difference between the photos and the aft starboard bulkhead as well as the room I have above my quadrant.
Has anyone done that outfit on a 365?
S/V Nereid, Hull #193