Author Topic: Linear Drive revisited  (Read 93 times)

stbtack1

• View Profile
    • Email
Linear Drive revisited
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
Does anyone have any insights to installing a raymarine linear drive autopilot? I understand Garner had a great writeup on his old website but it appears it has been closed.
Billy Ellis
Salty Dog 1981  P365 Hull 364

P69

• View Profile

SV Alfresco

• View Profile
Re: Linear Drive revisited
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this link. I see most all of Garner's pages are archived on that site. I really missed those references. Going to copy everything I can find to my local system so I don't lose it again. Is there any way it could all be uploaded to this site?

Mike

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
I've sucked most of them down into PDF files. Essentially, each page/topic is a PDF. I have not taken the time to upload/post them (about 110 files, 125 mB). The delay is not the upload, but rather the organization of the files in the constraints of the forum interface. 

I thought of a new forum category ("Documentation" ) with each file uploaded to its own post. Some files are grouped (gear box, westerbeke, modifications, etc...).

If anyone has advice on how to organize  the files in the form, let me know. attached is a file list of the PDFs I made of Garner's site.

What I have to work with are Categories, Boards, and Posts.
Currently, we have one Category (Pearson 365 and 367, the main banner).  We have 11 Boards (Yacht club, Pilot House, Mechanic Shop, etc...). Below that we have Posts.

Options:
1. Make a Board for documentation, posts the files by topic
2. Make a Category for documentation with Boards per topic (gear box, modifications, engines, sails, etc...) then posts within those Boards
3. Post  files within existing Boards.

One aspect of all this is that pearson356.com is a bulletin board/forum and anyone can change/upload data. This does not conducive to the displaying of information  like one is used to seeing on a 'web site" (i.e. Garner's site).  Forums require little maintenance to keep files up-to-date (y'all do that).  Only maintenance is periodic backup and fix the shit when it breaks (rare). Forum management can be easily transferred to someone else to manage.  A web site requires a lot more management to keep files up-to-date. Web sites are relatively easy to build, but maintenance and updating the files is the draw back.

My goal is to keep the documents separate from other posts so they don't get lost down the threads and organized within the limited format available within the forum, without developing a web site.

Pearson 323 uses the same board software we do.
http://www.pearson323.com/forum/

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:20:33 PM by P69 »

stbtack1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
Extremely helpful. Thank you!
Billy Ellis
Salty Dog 1981  P365 Hull 364

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
Files have been uploaded. Scroll down the main page to see the new category called "Document Library - Manuals, Specifications, Service Bulletins"

Under those are where Garners pages are (attached PDFs to each post) as well as other files that I found in the lat 5 years.