News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Through bolt grab rails to nothing on outside

Started by P69, November 13, 2018, 09:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P69

I'm trying to figure out how to install additional grab bars (stainless steel grab bars) to the overhead inside the boat.  The existing grabrails are good for when I am over the settees, but I need some more along the center line. Actually about 12" or 18" away from the center line in two or three strategic places.

I figured out where I want these, but there is nothing on the outside to receive the through bolts and I don't want grab bar in those locations on the coachroof. I can just terminate with a nut and washer, but I'll stub my toes and knees on those. I can't use a cap/acorn nut because those will also hurt; they are too pointy. I need something to thread the bolt into, but is not conducive to stubbing toes or poking into buttcheeks or knees.

I also want to put a grab bar over the V berth on the forward facing, sloping end of the coach roof, but again, there is nothing on the exterior to receive the through bolt.

Does anyone have an idea how I can through bolt a grab bar to the overhead in the salon area and minimize the 'toe stub' risk on the exterior?

Thanks

S/V Deo Volente

How about an oval head machine screw with a finishing washer on the outside and an acorn nut inside?
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

SVJourney

Good call Bob.  If you use a wooden grab rail you can bury the nut inside it then wooden plug for a clean installation.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

P69

Well, that is a simple idea and if I recall correctly, that is what pearson used on some of the interior overhead grabrails  that has none on the outside (in galley). 

I think I'll take that route.  Thanks y'all for making that an easy one.

Sandy

I guess as an alternative you could bond extended timber knees to the ceiling on the stbd side,
and run straight stainless between them with SS end fittings