News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Emergency tiller cockpit port access

Started by CaptCG, July 18, 2018, 05:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptCG

Hello All,
I want to access (open) my brass deck plate on the cockpit floor aft of my wheel.  Doesn't want to give. Any advice?  Then I will need to craft a arm of some sort as a emergency tiller.  Any thoughts or advise ( and pics ) would be appreciated.
Carl Neumann, s/v Sea Hiker

Sandy

I have an emergency tiller I believe to be original
I'll make some kind of plan and make a few photos up for you

P69

Here are the dimensions of the emergency tiller from my P367.
It's just Alumium pipe with a square socket welded at the bottom.
It looks like 1 1/4" Schedule 40 Aluminum pipe.

OD: 1.88"
Wall: 1/8"
These are appoximate, my calipers are cheap plastic, not precise.

Attached are three pictures and one drawing showing the rough dimensions

jeffg

Thanks for posting this.  I also have not been able to open the aluminum emergency tiller access port on my P365.  The PO said he never opened it (18 years).  I think I may just remove the whole port the whole thing and replace it with a new one.  I have tried penetrating oil for the last couple of weeks with no luck.

I have been going through the equipment, and now I know what the emergency tiller looks like.  I'm hoping I find it and don't have to make one.

Jeff

SVJourney

Jeff,
You MAY have the only aluminum access port left in the fleet.  The rest of us had to replace them already.  (and penetrant, heat, time and sweat hasn't helped anyone to my knowledge)  Most replaced with a standard plastic port available at West Marine or any other chandler for a fairly cheap price.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

jeffg

Lol.  Okay, I removed it earlier today and ordered a Beckson replacement hatch.  Now, I'll have to see if I can find that emergency tiller.