Author Topic: Lightning strike  (Read 95 times)

stbtack1

• View Profile
    • Email
Lightning strike
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:36:34 PM »
Well Salty Dog has been hit. Who has been through this and what are the not so obvious things I need to check out. So far all the electronics are fried and the tachometer does not work. Engine seems to run fine.
Billy Ellis
Salty Dog 1981  P365 Hull 364

SVJourney

• MSN Messenger - wayne_seitz@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
    • Email
Re: Lightning strike
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
Bummer man!  And my worst nightmare.  We came close many times.

If it was a direct hit then haul your boat and look for small blow outs in the hull.  If you don't want to haul out, having a diver clean your hull and look very carefully for damage might suffice.

If it was a direct hit, have a thorough rigging inspection done.  Even just flash over between toggles/pins can create burns or fusing that can seriously weaken your rig.

I don't know if you grounded all your through hulls, masts, engine and prop strut together as many of us have, but if so, some of those grounds probably fried. 

The tach is hard to find!  My wife worked at West Marine and she finally found one that would work along with a separate hour meter.

Good luck!
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

stbtack1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:39 PM »
Thanks as always. Those were my thoughts as well. On one hand there was obviously a strike on the other I am baffled not to see more physical damage but I think a haulout is in order. The only visible damage was the VHF antenna was blown apart and dead electronics. I am baffled that the plastic tip on the antenna shows no sign of burn and the halyards are not burnt. Everything was or I believe was grounded but I think it really smart to check the cable to make sure it has not lost integrity. There was one hell of a storm last Sunday and I now of at least 6 boats that were hit. My brother saw three himself.
Billy Ellis
Salty Dog 1981  P365 Hull 364

SV Alfresco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:11:48 AM »
I had a lightning strike a couple of years ago. Didn't realize it until I found some small pieces of metal on the deck. It was what was left of the antenna. There was no piece more than an inch long. Some of the Datamarine wind instruments were damaged and had to be repaired. The antenna was a Shakespeare. Inside the antenna base, there is a gap between the antenna and the cable connection and there is also a metal bar that connects to the mount and also had a small gap to the antenna whip part of the antenna. I heard that is to direct the current to ground and not down the cable. Seemed to work well and the cable and radio were not damaged. I bought another Shakespeare. Hope it's the last.

Mike