News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Hydraulic Autopilot--Who the Heck is steering my boat?!

Started by Nereid, May 18, 2018, 09:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nereid

Our wheel autopilot definitely seems quite under powered. During small 3-6ft seas the autopilot sounds like some poor animal got caught under the helm, and it over heats.

I was thinking of upgrading to a hydraulic auto-helm... What is everyone else doing for steering?
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/

Hooligan

I have a Raymarine linear drive. It works well but I think a hydraulic is the best way to go. I used a Raymarine wheel pilot from NY to Florida but I was in the ICW and no 4 ft. seas. It worked ok but I don't think would take it offshore.

Nereid

Do you know how to hook up a hydraulic to the cable Edison? I have been looking and it seems like it may require replacing the current steering system with a hydraulic one (and id rather be able to steer without relying on power). When we went form FL to TX our wheel pilot had a tough time out in open seas, so i'd really like to get this sorted before we head back.
And how does your Linear Drive work?
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

Hooligan

No, I know nothing about hydraulic.  I am sure someone here will help you. Change the subject to hydraulic. The linear drive works well, better then a wheel pilot.

Nereid

Thanks Hooligan,
So is you linear drive under the cockpit?
Thanks!
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

Hooligan

It is in the aft lazarette and is hooked up to the steering quadrant.

Nereid

Interesting.
Do you have a schematic or photo of how its hooked up?
Thanks!
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

Hooligan

Yes I have pictures. Send me your email address and I will send them to you. I do not know how to send them on this forum. You can call me 619 517 3810.