Author Topic: Best location for keel cooler  (Read 452 times)

AdamLein

• View Profile
    • Email
Best location for keel cooler
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »
Hi, I've just ordered a keel cooler and it will be installed in a couple of weeks. Still trying to decide where to install it. Factors going into the decision:

1) Needs to be close to the compressor, or the compressor will need to be moved. Compressor is in the port cockpit lazarette.

2) I'd like to use it as the main component in a counterpoise for an HF antenna, so having it close to where the antenna will be installed is preferable.

3) It will be more effective if it's usually below the waterline.

So my preferred choice is to install it in the port cockpit lazarette, since it would mean not having to move the compressor. I'm willing to put an HF antenna back there. I'm thinking a few inches aft of the cockpit drain. So the question is, does that spot usually stay below the waterline?

An alternative is under the cabin sole, near the aft edge of the ballast. I would have to fabricate a platform to install the compressor on, somewhere on top of the keel. It would be roughly in line with the engine raw water intake, so definitely always underwater. And it would be closer to the fridge, so maybe more efficient due to a shorter run.

Thoughts?

SVTheEdge

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best location for keel cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
No idea.   I just thought I would reply since the activity here is pretty slow.  So the intake brings in water for cooling for the refrigerator compressor or air conditioning compressor?  How does it work? 
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

AdamLein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »
So the intake brings in water for cooling for the refrigerator compressor or air conditioning compressor?  How does it work?

Ah, good question. That is one way to cool your refrigerant, but you then have to deal with corrosion, a pump, and the delight of having another point of ingress for the sea. I think it's called "water-cooled" refrigeration.

A "keel-cooler" is a bronze bar that you attach to the underside of the hull. It has a stem that fits through a hole in the hull and the refrigerant lines lead into the stem. It acts directly as a condenser. So instead of bringing seawater in to cool the refrigerant, you send the refrigerant outside to be cooled. The condenser is sealed to the hull with the sealant of your choice so it's pretty secure.

Following up from my original question, I had a look in the cockpit lazarette yesterday and it seems like the cooler will likely be above the water if we're heeled sufficiently to port. So I'll probably go with the location under the salon, near the raw water intake. It'll be a lot more work but definitely always under the waterline. I'll update the thread as the project progresses; haulout is next week.

SVTheEdge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »
I have heard of these condenser types.  Seems like a pretty good idea.  As long as it is 12v and doesnt get plugged up with sea weed, which it shouldnt.  It might get barnicles growing on it, but ssems like a great idea.  Send pictures when you complete it. 
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

Hooligan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
 I have Isotherm  refrigeration and it has a keel cooler. Both Frigoboat and Isotherm are sea water cooled. Very efficient . No pump or fan required. I have used both. i like the Isotherm best. Low power draw. Yes it should be placed near the compressor.