News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

367 Traveling (Baby) Stays

Started by Nightwind, March 13, 2018, 11:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightwind

Is there a 367 forum on this site?

What's up with the port and starboard traveling stays? I was interest in asking anyone with a cutter how the heck you go wing on wing with those baby stays in the way? Boom can only swing about 30 degrees to port or starboard before hitting the stays on travelers. Can't move the traveler forward any more without hitting and blocks on cars for the head sail?  How is this issue resolved?

Also, I still have the original club foot and boom for the stay sail which I plan to remove and replace with a furrler for deck space. Any reason to keep the club foot and staysail boom?

Safe sailing!

Mike

P69

Mike,

I think you're referring to the running back stays, you slack the leeward one to get it out of the way of the boom. Use them to counter the fwd pull of the staysail stay, when needed.

If you remove the club, you'll need sheet leads for the staysail sheet. Sheeting to the track on the gunwale will not be close enough, unless reaching.  I have a 367 with no club (I bought it that way). A previous owner removed the club, but never installed a sheet lead in appropriate spot, so I added two 4' T tracks on the coachroof, just inboard of the grabrails.  you might want to keep the club for a while because removing it will entail a lot of work to get the sheet angles right and run the sheets to the cockpit.
  1. recut sail for no club
  2. install sheet leads or tracks at appropriate inboard position for proper set when on the wind
  3. lead the sheets to P & S winches on aft end of coachroof or run the sheet through blocks down off the coachroof to the gunwale track, then to the P & S winches

Look at pictures of Pacific Seacraft 37 and 40 to see how they lead the sheets and you'll get an idea of what you'll need to do.

LLCOOLDAVE

Well, I'll chime in. I just purchased a 367. From what I've read running backstays are used to counteract the force of using the inner forestay, the staysail. Going wing on wing you won't be using the staysail so you won't be using the running backstays for that point of sail.

I sailed across the atlantic (2017) on a Tartan 41 (circa 1975). It had an inner forestay for a storm jib and running backstays. We didn't use any of it.

Going upwind in strong winds, a reefed main and no genoa, a staysail on the boom. Use the windward running backstay.

That's all I've got.

Nightwind

Kevin B. suggested this and it works perfect: I added additional track slides forward of fair leads.  That way I have two attachment points for the running backs.

Thanks Dave!

Mike