Author Topic: Lewmar Ocean 60 Hatches  (Read 536 times)

svcontentment

• View Profile
    • Email
Lewmar Ocean 60 Hatches
« on: February 25, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
Hello,

I'm looking to replace my original Bomar hatches with the Lewmar Ocean 60s. I assume I will need the flange base style and a custom deck ring to cover original mounting holes?  Any details/recommendations  from those that have completed this installation would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

SV Contentment
1981 P365K

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lewmar Ocean 60 Hatches
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
The Bomar hatches you have are not the worst in the world.  Many of us have reworked them and they keep on ticking.  See the Maruska section below search around to where I rebuilt mine, they are wonderful. 

If you are set on replacements, Hood Yacht Systems make a great Stainless hatch. They are made from 316 non magnetic stainless and they come in a polished finished.  Their traditional model is available in a 19 1/2" x 19 1/2" unit which should drop right in.  They even have the base flange just like the Bomars you have. If you can't find someone to give you a price, let me know and we would be glad to do that for you.

I am not a big fan of Lewmar ports or hatches.  If you are going to replace ports I would recommend New Found Metals.  Their products are excellent and many of their ports have been installed in P365's.

Dale Tanski
Obersheimer Sailor Supply
Maruska Hull #40 Ketch

"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Della and Dave

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »
Dale:  Any recommendations for how to clear up the hatch cover?  Ours are fine, except they are sort of scratched up and weathered.  I was thinking there must be some kind of polish that would bring them back, but I didn’t want to damage them, or spend hours on something that wouldn’t work. 
Della and Dave
S/V Polaris

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
If you were any place other than were you are, I would suspect that upon closer inspection you would find that surface of the acrylic is crazed due to UV damage.  You can reduce the scratching, if that all it is, using a mechanical wheel style buffer and a light duty buffing compound.  What you will be doing is making big scratches smaller thus less visible.  3M makes great products and you should be able to get them at an auto parts or auto refinishing supply house.  I suspect that 3M makes a product for buffing out headlight lenses, that would probably do it.

If the scratches are too deep you could sand the lenses with wet dry 600 and try again.  I would apply duct tape to the rim of the hatch so you don't buff off the paint on the rim.

For those of you further south, once the sun bakes the plastic your only recourse is to replace the plastic.  I would recommend tempered glass over Plexiglas.  Tempered glass is 10 times stronger than regular glass, basically wont scratch and wont die from sun exposure.  You can also get it in solar tint, blue, green and bronze.  When I replaced mine they custom cut the glass to size, rounded the corners and sent them out to be tempered.  Each cost around $80 which is in my mind cheap.

Dale 
Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »
A month too late with this, but in warmer climes consider solid hatches as an alternative to glazed
Taking out that complication also puts home made within the proximity too
Further South than South is
Hull #103