News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

New Walter V-Drive $3205.+

Started by Hooligan, February 14, 2018, 06:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooligan

I sent my V drive back to Walter for inspection, just got the bad news, it is shot. It was full of water and mud. It has to be replaced with a new one.
Price for new unit $2800. + new shaft $150.+ new coupling $135 + shipping $120. = $ 3205. Ouch!    I have no idea what the yard will charge for installation. Another boat unit?  My V drive was the RV 20, that is no longer available, I am getting whatever the new unit is.  Has anyone installed a new V drive?   They say the new unit is a little larger. My raw water strainer may be in the way.  I may need some help here .Pictures?

Hooligan

I found out that they are replacing my RV 20 with the RV 26. I hope it fits

P69

It'll fit. Mine's an RV26 and it fits, but it's tight getting it in.

http://bodylens.com/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=25

There are no pictures of it installed and aligned. I'll upload some of those this weekend.

PeteW

I don't think I would attempt to put an RV-26 in the Pearson 365. Looks like a total rework of the hull including the bronze strut angle. Then the issue of getting the motor mounts to align to the new V-drive position as well as having to extend the length of all the shafts 6 to 10" after you have to mount the V drive forward in the hull. Looks to be directly over the deepest part of the bilge. No shipwright or mechanic in the yard's going to want to get involved with this. Its just too much trigonometry.

I'd be looking for a replacement RV-20 or find the parts to repair the one you have. Trust me, its not shot. Pretty sure the gear set in the RV-20 is interchangeable with RV-10 gear set and a few other models. Pinion shaft is a little more robust in the RV-20. They are out there you have to be patient and keep looking. What gear ratio is your RV-20? Do you want to sell it?

Pete

Hooligan

Pete, Walter assured me the RV 26 will fit with no problem.  I talked to P36 and he has a RV 26 in his boat. The ratio in mine is 1:1  Walter said my unit had mud in it and it was not rebuildable.

SVTheEdge

What was the outcome on your V drive?
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

Hooligan

I have it in, just have to align it today. And do a test run.