Author Topic: Rear Oil Seal Replacement  (Read 352 times)

jpendoley

• View Profile
    • Email
Rear Oil Seal Replacement
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »
Hi Everyone
Time to begin boat work. Still cold and frozen in New England, but the Planar diesel heater I installed last fall takes the chill off, so I have no excuse not to go after the dreaded rear oil seal. Leak eaks a pint in 8 hours of running time. I understand it will likely still leak, but am hoping the replacement of the seal will reduce that dramatically.
I'm considering going with the Foley Engines graphite seal. I've heard all about there legendary friendly service  (sic), but am thinking the graphite approach is innovative and might be worth a try.
Any advice on this project much appreciated. I'm a novice mechanic, but thinking this is not beyond my abilities-I rebuilt my little Atomic Four years ago and it runs great.
First step is soaking the forward engine mounts with kroil. Hoping I can lift the engine without screwing with the alignment.
Any advice or instructions greatly appreciated.
Jim

SVTheEdge

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rear Oil Seal Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
I hope you have success with this seal.  The previous owner of our boat tried it himself and it ran 22 miles before dumping lots of oil in the bildge.  I heard Perkins engines leak oil, but not pour.  I paid a guy $900 to replace it.  My bell housing was cracked as well.  I hope to learn how to change it next time.
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC