Author Topic: Wind Vanes and Transom Luggage  (Read 988 times)

Nereid

• View Profile
    • Email
Wind Vanes and Transom Luggage
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »
After our crossing this past fall, and with most of it hand steering, I wondered if anyone had experience with wind vanes or other non-electric autopilots. During our crossing we had either no wind and seas or gale with heavy seas, and the current autopilot just couldn't handle Nereid getting kicked around that much. That being said how do wind vanes hold up in heavy and potentially following seas?
Thanks guys!
-SV Nereid
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/

eveningebb

• View Profile
Re: Wind Vanes and Transom Luggage
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »
I've been very happy with my hydrovane.
S/V Evening Ebb
1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hull #276
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/eveningebb

Hooligan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
 I have been using a Monitor Wind Vane for about 25 years. Made trips to Mexico, Hawaii and a circumnavigation with one. As far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with a Monitor.

PeteW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »
I agree that Monitor Vanes are the best. My issue is with interference from the mizzen boom on a ketch. I've been told that its no problem to lift the mizzen boom over the wind vane when tacking. Then there are the davits most of which have a solar panel mounted to them these days.

Why for now I am sticking to my plan of  using solar to run the autopilot in vane mode. Not as bulletproof as the monitor unfortunately but it should work the same and maybe better in following seas.

Anybody have picture of an Monitor on a 365 Ketch?

Pete

Nereid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
Thanks guys!
Right now its a battle between balancing the junk on the transom.. If it could be offset/outside of the davits (starboard or port) then i'm sure I can get it to fit.. I think the Monitor Vane has to be centered with the keel. Is that true for the other models (hydrovane, capehorn... etc)
Thanks!
-SV Nereid
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:57:06 AM by Nereid »
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

eveningebb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »
I centered the hydrovane on the transom.  You could talk to the Hydrovane rep about how to install their vane on your transom.  I've been very careful with the mizzen boom and the upper blade and have used a preventer on the mizzen boom and tilted or even removed the upper blade when tacking or gybing.  It really hasn't been a problem since the offshore passages I've done haven't require many tacks or gybes only adjustments to the vane when the direction of the wind changed. 

S/V Evening Ebb
1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hull #276

Nereid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »
Thanks I'll give them a call.
How much did your whole set up (hydrovane and attach) cost to get running/working?
-Isaac
S/V Nereid, Hull #193

eveningebb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 03:11:28 PM »
Check out their website  http://hydrovane.com and talk to Will Curry.  His email and info is on the site under the Contact tab.  According to their site, you can mount it off-center without any loss of performance.  Read through the "Features" under "The Hydrovane" tab and check out the installation and operation instructions.

It was a fairly easy install.  The only difficulty as I remember was getting the backing plates and the the mounting pads trimmed to adjust for the camber and pitch in the transom. 

I particularly like the fact that the hydrovane gives you an auxiliary rudder.  You can use the boat's rudder to provide take out some of the weather helm.
S/V Evening Ebb
1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hull #276