News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

what am I doing now

Started by Sandy, December 09, 2017, 08:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SVJourney

Wiring diagram is in the Westerbeke manual on pages 40 and 41.  Almost none of the wiring was from Pearson.  The manual is posted up on this forum here:  http://www.pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1900.0

The big red button that looks like a remote start is a circuit breaker and needs to be replaced.

The harness between the instrument cluster and the block disconnect shown in picture #2 of your previous post is ~8 meters long and is likely coiled up behind your galley cabinets.  You can cut off the block and use all that excess to directly wire the engine up.

Personally, and I have a bit of experience with this, I don't think there's anything wrong with copper wiring on a boat.  ABYC got a wild hair up their ass 20 years ago and defined a new standard.  The bigger problem is that the wires need to be terminated correctly and be supported/secured adequately.  The issue on your boat is likely from heat and vibration making the insulation brittle from heat and then chafed through from vibration.  This is why I suggest you get the wire out of the loom that has been safely protected behind your galley cabinet and use if rather than the wire that has been baked and rattled for the last 40 years.

Bundling to make it look clean is all well and good, but wire separation of disparate sizes is important.  So is keeping the wires from laying on metal surfaces.  Especially the engine itself.  Disparate sizes is important as it won't matter if the 18ga wire has a 5 amp circuit breaker if it rubs through on a wire with a 30 amp circuit breaker.  30 amps will still make it burn.
If you do bundle them together (and it IS commonly done) then zip tie the heck out of them to keep them from vibrating against each other.

Wayne

www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.