Author Topic: Soon to be (365 Owner)  (Read 1033 times)

Wastin Time

• View Profile
    • Email
Soon to be (365 Owner)
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »
Hello all... Mid October I will take possession of my very first ketch rig, a 1982 Pearson 365.  This will also mark my longest voyage on a boat that I own, or on any others that I have sailed on.  Well, except a 751 footer I had the pleasure of crossing the Atlantic on.  Of course that didn't have any sails.  I will meet the boat in Miami to settle paperwork and shakedown with the owner and a friend will fly down to meet me a few days later.  We will be taking the boat (currently Coracle II) around the keys and up to Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana.  I have quite a few years sailing experience, about two hours once on a friends ketch...  The first sailboat that I owned was a '78 Catalina C-25 (Reality).  I bought this boat near derelict and myself, my wife and the kiddos spent 3 years cleaning her up and teaching them how to sail.  Now that my wife is ready to spend more time on the water we began looking for something bigger.  Anyway, any ketch advice would be great and extremely helpful.  I doubt we will have trouble learning on the fly though.
Clint
Soon to be S/V Wastin' Time
1982 Pearson 365
Hull 397

Jim S

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Soon to be (365 Owner)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
Take a big sigh and be thankful there are big old boats like the 365 available.  You will get it all down quickly and without any real problems.  Enjoy!

Louisiana makes some really good rums, too!
Jim S

Wastin Time

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »
Well, she is ours...  The trip was quite eventful to say the least. Mostly because of timing. We had a small window to take possession and move her. It was either dead calm or 25-30 knots with 6-8 seas. We decided to cut over Key Largo and hug the mainland coast. Starter trouble around Clearwater, we were waiting on a weather window anyway so I had it rebuilt. Thank goodness for UBER.  Weve developed a fuel leak from what I can tell is probably an injector. The v-drive likes to drip oil too.  We made it as far as Pensacola before we ran out of time. So for now she sits safely in a marina for now. I got a chance to run out and check on her only to find the engine battery dead. But she is safe, bilge pumps are in working order and the house batteries are good. This boat has a Universal 5444 from which I can tell looks to be factory. If I understand this is unusual for this model. The water pump cycles pretty regular which I figure is a leak somewhere on the output side. The alternator has to be turned on and off manually or it will overcharge. There is an external regulator but Im not sure if it works or how to wire it for that matter. The engine panel is new however nothing is connected. But overall for an almost 40 year old boat I think she did great.
Clint
Soon to be S/V Wastin' Time
1982 Pearson 365
Hull 397

Jim S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:30:48 AM »
To be stranded, Pensacola is a very good place.  Go see the Joe Patty fish market.   Good fresh bread and the best fresh seafood on the coast.
Jim S

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
Clint,
Welcome aboard!  I can tell just by reading your initial posts you will be fine and the boat has found a wonderful new owner.  If you stay focused on the little problems one at a time, the big picture wont be as overwhelming of an issue.

Yes the majority of the P365's were powered with Perkins 4-107-s or 108-s.  There are some good posters on the site that will guide you regarding the Universal engine.

As for a ketch, you have knowingly or unknowingly bought yourself a cruising machine with a sail plan that offers many options whether the wind is up or on the way down.  Each sail is a bit smaller than a sloop of comparable size so carting bags and handling sails is all a bit easier.  The boat is a short handed or single handed sailors dream.

There is much to learn from this site regarding all topics 365, and the search function works very well.  When in doubt ask.

Good Sailing....

Dale Tanski
Maruska
Hull #40
Cutter Ketch
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

kevin barber

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
Hey Clint,

I have a 1982 Pearson 36 Cutter with the Universal 5444.  I live in Pensacola.  The boat is here as well.   

Email, or give me a call.  I would be happy to help you with what ever you may need.

-Kevin

KevinPandragon@gmail.com
850-982-0983
Kevin Barber
S/V Pan dragon
1982 Pearson 367 Cutter
Hull 41

SVTheEdge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:41:23 AM »
Welcome to the funny farm.  I just bought a 365 sloop in April and still ironing out the problems.  The V drive is a pain to resolve (at least for me).  If the oil leaking is clean you might just need a seal.  If its brown and milky and foamy you have water intrusion and will be in the boat as me.  I guess these things take time to work out.  At least you made it to pensacola .  Stay active here on the forum, I know I will.

Pate
1979, 365, hull #244
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

S/V AMITY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:12:11 PM »
Welcome!  Pictures of your new girl would be nice to see.

Concerning a dead starting battery, something I carry on my boat (alas, not a 365... but have my eye on one) and in my cars is one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/19800mAh-Starter-Portable-Battery-Flashlight/dp/B01J5G8PF6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1515628305&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=battery+jumper&psc=1 .

Looks improbable but is a good ace up your sleeve for getting started in a pinch.  Will jump start a diesel no problem.