Author Topic: Paragon SAOD what not to do.  (Read 329 times)

stbtack1

• View Profile
    • Email
Paragon SAOD what not to do.
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
This was mentioned before but I missed it because it was near the end of a previous tread. I want this to be top and center to anyone looking to repair a SAOD. While researching someone to repair my saod I ran across American Transmission David Layman. After my nightmare I discovered that American Transmission is no longer a business in good standing in Md and shut down. The calls get forwarded to Daves cell phone where he will tell you to ship it to his new address which happens to be his home. Of course the victim (me) does not know any of this. My first clue of trouble was when he sent me pictures of the tyranny on his work bench which happened to be the tailgate of his pick up. Being the fool that I can be I sent him payment to rebuild anyway. That was nearly three months ago. After he had it for 5 weeks he quit returning calls and I was on the verge of reporting him for wire fraud which carries the sting of a federal crime as he sent me a photocopy bill via text for work he was not intending to do. As he had my tranny and my money I decided to try and track him down instead. Most crooks are not very smart (and apparently neither am I) so I was to track him to his current employer. Once he realized I knew where he worked, which could be trouble for him, he promised he would send it by the end of the week. Well three weeks later still no tranny. Finially, to rub insult into injury he sent it back freight collect after I had already paid him to ship it.  I am now terrified as to what work he actually did but at least I will have the tranny back. All I can say is the guy lies when the truth sounds better and a fool and his money are easily parted. If you use this guy after reading this then you are a fool.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:59:39 PM by p69Admin »
Billy Ellis
Salty Dog 1981  P365 Hull 364

SVJourney

• MSN Messenger - wayne_seitz@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
    • Email
Re: Paragon SAOD what not to do.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »
Wow!  That really sucks man.  Glad you did get your trans back and thank you for posting this up!
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

Della and Dave

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
Ouch!  Thanks for letting everyone know.  That transmission is popular on a lot of other boats too. 
Della and Dave
S/V Polaris

PeteW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
I sold my SAOD for $200 to a fellow 365 owner after I realized that parts where scarce, unavailable and/or very expensive. I think the price for clutch plates was $1000. Get some sea water in there at some time in the past and you may be left with a pile of junk. If you strip the spline off the input shaft, good luck finding that part. The bottom line is many time these old gear boxes, Walter V Drives included, are beyond repair. I can testify that paying freight to ship  one of these old boat anchors at times is wasted money.

I bought a new Borg Warner for my boat.

Pete, old Hull#6
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:54:56 AM by PeteW »