Author Topic: Emergency tiller questions  (Read 283 times)

elektron

• View Profile
    • Email
Emergency tiller questions
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:57:47 PM »
Hey All!

I finally replaced the access panel for the emergency tiller, but can't find the actual emergency tiller anywhere onboard Zeno.

The rudder post (is that what it's called? appears to be a 15/16" square post about 5 or 6" tall. Seems like it should be easy enough to get a local metal guy to fabricate something that fits over that, but does anyone have any more exact measurements of the original emergency tiller or any recommendations as to improvements on the design?

Pearson 365 #123

Jim S

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Emergency tiller questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »
Whine you are in there, seal the balsa core.
Jim S

AdamLein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »
Here are measurements for my emergency tiller, all in inches:

Bottom to middle of bend, measured along inside of bend = 34
Mid bend to top, measured along inside of bend = 30.5
End to end, measured along inside of bend = 65
End to end, measured in a straight line = 58
Width (external) of square cross section at the bottom = 1-3/4
Top diameter = 1-7/8

Laelia's previous owner found that you can't mount the tiller facing in the normal tiller orientation without removing the wheel and the compass, which is obviously not something you want to be doing in an emergency :) In my own experiments, I found it easy enough (sitting a the dock) to operate the tiller while it was mounted pointing off to starboard, so the handle part extends over the seat.

elektron

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Here are measurements for my emergency tiller

Thanks so much! Also, anyone used it while sailing? As provided, does it have sufficient leverage for controlling the rudder in normal conditions? Any design tweaks that may be advantageous?
Pearson 365 #123

AdamLein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:52:59 PM »
Two blog posts by Laelia's PO on the subject:

http://voyageoflaelia.blogspot.com/2012/01/another-day-in-paradise-and-comments-on.html - on installation

http://voyageoflaelia.blogspot.com/2012/01/sail-and-learn.html - on sailing with it

Some highlights:

The emergency tiller is not a very good tiller it is too short, it is a cold, metal tube to hang on to, it is too short and it sticks up at an odd angle.

If yesterday's sail was as bad as it gets, I could live with it but one of the other owners commented that even with a wheel, the steering effort can get pretty high when the wind picks up.

In the end, well, my boat still has a wheel :)

This might be the thread he was referring to: http://www.pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1010.0