Author Topic: Great Youtube Video  (Read 1376 times)

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Youtube Video
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
We host several "movie nights in the loft" events throughout the winter months.  This is where we invite the local sailors up to our sail loft to watch a good sailing movie, eat some free popcorn and chew the fat and remissness over seasons of good sailing afterwards.  It is a nice break from the winter routine and keeps the sailing community attached, in touch, alive and hopefully dreaming over the off season. 

Over the past few years we have shown the classics like Captain Ron, Master and Commander, Morning Light and White Squall.  I ran across a nice video on Youtube the other night about a guy that sailed from LA to Hawaii and back alone on a 32 foot Ericson.  It is a self shot, self directed, self edited video that is very well put together.  It is good enough that we will show that video at one of our upcoming movie nights. Here is the link if you have some spare time this winter or need a sailing fix.
https://youtu.be/28TAdDu5L6U  Please at the very least, note the very few last words in the video, they are very compelling.

Along that line, what is your favorite sailing movie?  Perhaps we will show your recommendation at an upcoming Obersheimers movie night in the loft!

Dale Tanski

"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

SVJourney

• MSN Messenger - wayne_seitz@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
    • Email
Re: Great Youtube Video
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 05:03:12 PM »
Also saw a good docudrama on you tube called Chasing Bubbles.  Its 1:24 long so bring some popcorn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

We're sitting in Noumea both sick as dogs with colds and there is actually wifi here so I've been checking out Vblogs from some cruising sailors.  SVDelos and White Spot Pirates.  Good way to relax and recoup.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »
I watched this movie over the weekend and found it disturbing in oh so many ways.  One of the problems I had with it was who paid for all of this?  I even did some research on Alex and found a blog he did about the voyage.  The blog was well written and filled in much of the back story and answered many of my questions.  All in all it was time well spent as it is still in my mind even today.  If you haven"t seen Chasing Bubbles give it a go and your comments please.

Any more good sailing based videos or movies out there? 

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

SailingSeaDragon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sailingseadragon.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »
Dale,

I watched "Chasing Bubbles" when it first hit YouTube - it is well done and easy to watch but like you, I had trouble getting it out of my head for some time.

Wayne,

Popcorn is a good suggestion, however I needed a stiff drink afterwards.

SPOILER ALERT -

Even having a good sense of how it would end, that fact did not change the disturbing nature of the ending.

Garner
Sea Dragon
1981 36 Cutter (367)
http://www.sailingseadragon.com

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:32:23 AM »
I didn't want to do a spoiler either. Both Dana and I raised a glass afterwards to Alex.

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
Worst sailing movie EVER!
ttps://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/all_is_lost_2013/

Still worth watching just to see every conceivable thing an ocean going sailor can possibly do wrong.

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
Dana just did her first video on a stop we did at Kelefesia in Tonga.  Only 5 mins long, but fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vCFN8QCsPs

Della and Dave

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 01:18:23 AM »
Nice!
Della and Dave
S/V Polaris