Author Topic: Deep bilge hull failure  (Read 2008 times)

SVJourney

• MSN Messenger - wayne_seitz@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
    • Email
Deep bilge hull failure
« on: April 23, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »
We recently had our hull fail at the deep part of the bilge during a haul out.  It seems there was an old repair there that wasn't properly bonded or the oil and gunk in the bilge wormed its way through the bond over time.  We feel lucky to have found the problem while setting her down on a block in the yard instead of maybe finding out when we landed on a rock somewhere out in a remote anchorage.

This required grinding out a good portion of the lower keel area to remove the rotten glass. This was then replaced with various stranded materials with polyester resin.  Built up a little and feathered over for a good bond and extra strength.

I also decided that I hated that deep bilge and thought it was a hazard.  So I filled it in with epoxy and vermiculite (witch is a soil additive you can get in a home center).  The vermiculite was recommended by the local fiberglass dudes here in NZ.  The bilge was filled in about 8", (an inch at a time so the epoxy doesn't get too hot) then covered by 3 layers of glass and smoothed.  The advantage is that I can now actually reach and clean the bottom of the bilge and the buildup makes for a bomb proof 10" thick keel area.  Any liquids in the bilge are kept away from the hull.

Story and pictures on Dana's blog: www.galleywenchtales.com/2016/03/uh-oh-haul-out-surprise.html

Now I just wish we had money leftover to cruise this season!   :(  lol, ah well, just going to have to dip the retirement accounts
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

PeteW

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deep bilge hull failure
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:13:33 AM »
There are two thinks that can go wrong during  a 365 haul out. 1. Lifting Strap on the shaft and 2. Blocking the aft (hollow) part of the keel. Guys in my yard think I'm paranoid. As if they know more about the Pearson 365 than an actual owner.

Glad you discovered the original damage that was apparently not repaired to well, while on the hard.   Pete

Leo II

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »
I did not know about the perils of aft keel blocking. I think a list of Haulout "best practices" would be useful for us new owners.

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
I was asked via email to provide more detail on the repair so I thought I would also do so here:

I don't have a pic of the finished floor, but I can tell you that I did ~8" of fill with Vermiculite and Epoxy.  (you can get vermiculite at a home store, it is used as a soil enhancer) Then 4 layers of biaxial cloth for a new floor.
The oily fiberglass was solved by cleaning with an industrial degreaser, then grinding to good glass with 20grit on a grinder. (which was way fun to do down in that hole.  Definitely remove the Vdrive and both shafts)  Good prep is key as there was already a crummy patch that was layed on the outside of the boat and oil got in and it cracked off.
    Make sure that the crack gets completely ground out, don't just layer over it.   We ground inside and out to clean glass repaired the hull to 1 1/2 inches thick, mostly on the inside.  The outside cloth extended more than a foot past the repair on the last layer, after epoxy primer, you couldn't tell the repair was there as it was clean and fair.  All hull cloth used polyester resin.
So the hugely beefed up structure I just described would survive pretty much anything and allows for blacking and sling placement on the keel.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

Leo II

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
I also have had some cracks along the aft deep bilge and am about to undertake repair.  Do you know how much epoxy it took to fill the bilge 8" when mixed with vermiculite?  My instinct is to bond in an inch or two of airex core under some fiberglass and then fill with a number of pours of epoxy, covered with more glass.  Did it look like the builders poured some resin/fiberglass strand into the bottom of your hull before glassing in the ballast?

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »
I don't know how much epoxy was used.  The boys were using 5 liter drum of it as they went from job to job.
The bottom of the bilge looked pretty much like the rest of the inside of the hull.