Author Topic: Number Twenty Three  (Read 11815 times)

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
Re: Number Twenty Three
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »
Our bilge sumps are somewhat problematic. Are you using a check valve?
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

SV Alfresco

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
I have a Whale Supersub on my 367. It comes with a check valve.  Had a problem where it wouldn't shut off. Turns out it was bilge scum on the pump. I cleaned it off and it works perfectly, for now. Periodically check it a couple of times per season.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Bob
Our bilge sumps are somewhat problematic. Are you using a check valve?
Hi Bob,

I'm putting a Jabsco check valve on the primary pump line, just south of the pump but where I can still easily see if there's a blockage.

Quote from: SV Alfresco
I have a Whale Supersub on my 367. It comes with a check valve.  Had a problem where it wouldn't shut off. Turns out it was bilge scum on the pump. I cleaned it off and it works perfectly, for now. Periodically check it a couple of times per season.
That's good to know - thanks!

The Supersub-supplied check valve is an odd design. The whole purpose of the horizontal pump design is for installation where there's limited vertical clearance, so why they supply a vertical check valve that increases the clearance requirement is puzzling - especially when you also have to factor in the additional height needed for the bilge line itself. Was going to email Whale with some feedback on that (and on their choice of GHT).

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »
After a busy month of packing, downsizing and more downsizing, I am finally living aboard Dharma Bum full time. I want to give my retirement plan a year's test-drive before retirement, in case the reality turns out to be less appealing than the idea. It's not my first time permanently living aboard, but it is my first time doing it without four other people and a dog, so if nothing else I'll have more elbow room.

One of the many little things I've completed this month was putting in the Froli bedspring system. It's an older version (which I got a great deal on!) and puts an 1.5" airspace beneath the v-berth mattresses and adds a whole lot of spring support. 

Before:

Froli bases installed:

Froli springs installed:

final arrangement:

Some of the Froli springs have optional red inserts, which add additional firmness. I decided to leave half of them off and give each side of the berth a week's sleep before deciding whether I liked 'em all on or all off. Keen-eyed observers will also notice my snazzy homemade fitted sheets, courtesy of some Ikea twin bedsheets and my lamentable sewing skills.

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »
Are you still using foam cushions as mattresses? Seems to be a bit of moving aboard lately. I think it's a good boat for it.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
Quote from: S/V Deo Volente
Are you still using foam cushions as mattresses? Seems to be a bit of moving aboard lately. I think it's a good boat for it.

Hi Bob,

Yes to the foam mattresses, but I may opt for your setup once these go stale.

I relocated up-Island on Friday during a weather window and this marina only has 15a shore power, so I'm making choices like coffee or heat in the morning. I'm planning on installing a forced-air diesel furnace this summer, which will see me through next Fall and winter without having to huddle around my oil lamp. I gave a lot of research and thought to the hydronic systems but can't get past the $6000 price tag.

My #2 Injector Line is leaking, so that's made it to the A-pile for maintenance projects. Fortunately it's one of the few w50 parts that are readily available.