Author Topic: Water running from under Westerbeke  (Read 5488 times)

stwagstaff

• View Profile
Re: Water running from under Westerbeke
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 02:12:35 AM »
Wow,
That's a great tip. I hadn't thought of going to a radiator / hydraulic shop to get these made. I only found two places that have the hoses listed online (Torrensen Marine, and Discount Marine Source) but they don't have them in stock -- have to get them from a distributor -- so it's going to take days just to ship them out. The going rate is $63 to $69, each. Talk about getting hosed...

From what I can tell, the oil cooler part comes from 20 different dealers, but there are only two unique parts available, the one that Torrensen, and a couple of other dealers, sells under the Westerbeke name. It includes the separate bracket and pipe clamp and runs about $400.

The one that everyone else, including Ebay, has, is from Seakamp (a factory near Seattle - http://www.seakamp.com/). This goes for around $175, depending on who's selling. Most places don't stock it. I'm guessing they just have it drop shipped from the factory. It does not come with a bracket, but that can be found separately if you don't want to make your own, as part number 24840 ($35). The oil cooler shows up as part number 24889CN, but seems to be interchangeable with 11518CN and 24581CN. I haven't been able to determine what the difference is, but my old cooler, from a 4-107, has a welded on bracket. I'm ordering the detached bracket part separately. The "CN" stands for copper-nickle, in case anyone's wondering. Also, in case you're wondering, a detailed inquiry to Seakamp was utterly unhelpful; this was the reply I received:

"go to a dealer on line"

Also, FYI, the Seakamp factory is closed on Fridays, in case you're in a rush.

If you're a glutton for punishment, here's the contact info:

sales@seakamp.com
Seakamp Engineering, Inc.
3985 Hammer Dr
Bellingham, WA  98226
Phone: (360) 734-2788
Fax: (360) 671-0658

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:18:08 AM by stwagstaff »

stwagstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »
I'm just posting an update, for anyone who needs replacement oil hoses for the 4-107 engine in the future. I've been to a couple of hydraulic shops to get these hoses fabbed. Neither had the right fitting. The oil cooler end is a standard 3/8, pipe thread rigid fitting.

The oil filter end, where it goes into the oil filter adapter (with a swivel fitting) is a "#8, inverted-flare male, IMPERIAL thread," i.e., British threads. This fitting is hard to find, at least in San Jose, California. I'm heading to a shop named "Royal Brass" today to try to source it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:54:09 AM by stwagstaff »

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
I had that problem too, but the shop was able to reuse my fittings when I asked them, but I had to ask. That was 12 years ago.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

RayNWanda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
If you remove the Brit fittings, I think you will find pipe threads behind them. They can build hoses with a swivel fitting on one end or both. The swivel fittings cost a bit more, but may make them easier to install. You will have to have a swivel fitting on at least one end.
Safari
Palacios, Tx.
Prout Snowgoose 37

stwagstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
Well, I went to the Royal Brass shop, near where I work. It is a Parker hydraulics shop, and has the full line of Parker fittings. Owner had the the Imperial, inverted flare fitting, but had no ability to source it in brass. The original fitting is brass , with the Imperial threaded inverted flare nut made of steel. Both fittings on my hoses were crimped on and not re-usable. He rebuilt the hoses using steel fittings (stainless was $110 for each fitting!!!). I know the steel will rust eventually.

I'm thinking of painting them, though I'm not sure if it's worth it, as I can't paint the swivel parts. The steel has a thin gold-colored plating, but it's very uneven, and is already rubbed off from the crimping process. I can't imagine it will do much to prevent corrosion. I expect I have to sand blast these to get paint to stick which will remove all of the plating, such as it is. I guess my other option is to prime them. But I can't expect to get any kind of coat on the flare tube, under the swivel nut, where it's most likely to corrode and be a problem.

I'm planning to use "NeverSeize" on the swivel fitting and threads. Not sure how long I can expect these hoses to last, but at least the total bill for the pair was only $70, instead of $140 plus shipping for "factory" hoses.

I'll post some pictures here, as soon as I can get them off my camera:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115627829333862295694/albums/5808567213229975953?authkey=CIuokq7VnY3YqwE

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:36:07 PM by stwagstaff »

Sailing_Photog

• Pearson 365 sloop
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »
As of August 2017 the Westerbeke 40 oil cooler hoses #19150 and #19151 are back-ordered by months. 

This thread helped me find a local shop to make some new hoses with the british inverted flare fitting on one end, since I knew what to ask for when calling around.  Moreland Hose in Oakdale, New York (on Long Island) made me a set in a few minutes.  They even made it with Coast Guard approved fittings and hose.  Thanks stwagstaff!!!

But the reason I'm posting is to warn anyone taking off their oil cooler that the swivel fitting is on the oil filter end of the hoses and WILL NOT SWIVEL until you loosen the smaller nut of the fitting.  I destroyed a hose before I figured this out, making new ones necessary.  Maybe I'm stupid but it wasn't obvious. Don't turn the 7/8" fittings on the hoses until you loosen the swivel, which on mine took a 19mm wrench.

By the way, Lenco Coolers in Long Island can make your oil cooler and heat exchanger for you in a very short time.