Author Topic: Finally logged in as new 365 owner  (Read 1161 times)

SVTheEdge

• View Profile
    • Email
Finally logged in as new 365 owner
« on: December 23, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »
Well I finally get to log in.  The administrator helped me.  We bought our 365 named "The Edge" last April.  My wife and I started trying to bring it back to the Carolina's.  20 miles later up the ICW I checked the bilge and discovered lots of oil.  We pulled into Titusville and had the rear main seal changed.   The tried again, which now the oil pan gasket let go.  lost all the oil in a matter of a few hours and got towed back to titusville.  Tried again a couple weeks ago and now the v drive is belching oil in the bilge due to water intrusion.  The whole summer we have been having to work and going through hurricanes so i havent had the time to try to get to know anyone on the site.  I really like our boat, its a real head turner.  The owner kept the boat at the dock which he lived on for 9 years.   Its a real dock queen.  Now I'm tring to get this girl to move and its harder than i imagined.  well, anyway I hope to actually meet some of yall soon. 

Pate
SV "The Edge"
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

S/V AMITY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally logged in as new 365 owner
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
Welcome! 

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Pete,
It sounds like you have lived a lifetime of problems in a very short time.  Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with the running gear.  You will be pleased to know once you get it all sorted out the boat is fantastic!

Perhaps being a dock queen she has forgotten the basics or marine atrophy has set in.  Either way stay at it, it is all worth it in the end.

This site is chock full of great people, boat advice and opinions. Don't be shy.

Dale
Maruska
Hull #40 ketch
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Della and Dave

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it so far.  When we bought Polaris, we had quite a few issues to overcome too.  It does get better...
Della and Dave
S/V Polaris

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »
Welcome!
 We have had our Pearson 25 years now. The first season something failed every trip out. Like yours it was used as a cabin for a number of years. It seemed as though I had to touch every part of the boat, I like to think it needed a good massage.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

EricDavis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
Welcome to classic plastic ownership! We have had our '76 Pearson 365 Ketch for about 3 months now and we are still shaking out the kinks. Luckily nothing as major as what you have gone through. I guess it's good to get that stuff out of the way early. Like yours, the old girl is still a head turner at the marina and when we take her out.

We wish you nothing but smooth sailing from here on! Enjoy!!

Eric & Dina Davis
S/V Pony On A Boat
Eric & Dina Davis
1976 Pearson 365 Ketch, Hull #73

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
glad you made it
Further South than South is
Hull #103

Nereid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »
Welcome SV The Edge!
Same as you we had a great deal of unexpected failures. My only tip in planning for the unexpected is to have at least 1 (2 is better) replacement piece for each major component. (spare impeller, shackles, sail tape.. etc). During our crossing this past summer we experienced a fair amount of failures with the motor and sails (old lady, old sails n' motor).
In one instance the motor (wrbk 45hp) stopped running because it drew in air due to the fuel filters being clogged by debris from a deteriorating fuel tank. So I had to rig a Jerry can to be the new gas tank and filter the diesel through a filter (coffee filters work great apparently) as well as bleed the diesel lines to the motor.
All in all, worth it. I have yet to see a more beautiful boat than a Pearson.
Great to have you aboard the Forum!
-SV Nereid
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/