Author Topic: what am I doing now  (Read 2110 times)

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: what am I doing now
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »
We used the mizzen halyard (I think) tied off to the portside mainsheet tackle, and the backstays were on just so I could get a look at them.
The backstays have inadequate line working on them which will be replaced.
Personally I might not have but when you hire an experienced rigger, you take his advice and go with the flow.

Witness here the damage done to the hull topsides by the previous owner for not having fendered his hard dinghys effects on the hull.
Because of this Zaya's future is a painted one and the dinghy was trucked off to become the possession of hard working friends.
Zaya is already well admired around the yard, she will be a thing of stunning beauty when shes properly painted come autumn.

Mizzen boom got outfitted to the mast yesterday, some resizing of shackles is in order and a new wire bridle will have to be organised.
But that stuff can wait while I automate the existing Rule 2000 bilge pump with a flipper switch and some wiring mods.
She hits the water on Wednesday
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:27:55 PM by ZULU40 »
Further South than South is
Hull #103

S/V AMITY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »
Bring champagne Wednesday.

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
Bring champagne Wednesday.

for the formalities
not this time but after repaint in our autumn
the weather is a bit steadier and not quite so hot
anyways, possible name change then, and Im not so sure about colours yet, but open to reasonable advice

getting back to christenings, even then like the Royal Navy never champagne but an Empire, in this case an Australian white
... if any of you are wondering, yes its the French thing.

today Zaya is made ready for the water
detritus finally cleared off her transom (a personal high)
sea cocks closed, fenders adjusted, new dock lines coiled, pump bleed set to on, bilge pump set to auto, all selectors set to off
dock cleaned up to keep the management happy, fireside chat with the crane crew
she's good to go

have a great Christmas people, keep safe and drive smart

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:01:04 AM by ZULU40 »
Hull #103

S/V AMITY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
 She looks great.  Merry Christmas & fair winds for '18!

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 10:18:47 AM »
Not really a drama filled day, but the crane crew pondered about the lift
So we hooked her just forward of the skeg, then manipulated the rear sling off using some aft travel while in the water

Once in the water the engine wouldnt start from the start button, but we got her to run from arcing the solenoid
Then the leaky heat exchanger endplate let go and we had to make a fix from a handmade part to clear the dock

Now it was out into the river to turn her around, it felt good to be free even for a few minutes
Defy the quite hot winds for the cool breeze over water, then back in and on to a berth

I came close to clobbering the dock on the final turn, but thankfully that was avoided
Zaya struggled at her lines in fluky winds but eventually fell content, resting in her element
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:21:24 AM by ZULU40 »
Hull #103

S/V AMITY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »
  Great to see her in the water!

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
Over the New Years break I was still ticking off the boxes

The starter button was replaced and tested a half dozen times.
I think I found a line on aluminium fuel tanks to replace my split steel tank. These are built for trucks, and can be had in the $500 range. They will require some rebuilding of the mount base which looks aged and kinda fuel soaked, but I feel the need to re-engineer both of the sail lockers to improve engine room access I already complained about. This will mean moving the batteries further aft, hence some major changes and timely simplifications to the electrical layout.

The main and mizzen sails were taken home for a wash and inspection. The mizzen has a few tiny issues, it is serviceable but the main is in need of repair and a visit to a sailmaker for assessment. As these are apparently 40 year old original sails that display the hull number and Pearson 365 logo; unfortunately its a toss up whether its worth repairing them or going for new sails, so I shall see what the sailmaker says. In the meantime the boom has been put back on to the mast, although the gooseneck will have to come off later to repair some cracks I spotted. Im yet to get to the rigging to complete that too.

It was found that the alternator wasnt charging the batteries and on inspection appears to have blown diodes. I read something about switching battery banks while the engine is running will blow the diodes, and that seems to have happened more than once as the previous owner attempted to alleviate this condition by using a DPDT switch connected to what appears to be an external diode, but wired incorrectly.

She does look sweet at the dock despite the warts, but they will be fixed in time.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:55:34 AM by ZULU40 »
Hull #103

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Love the hull color...
Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »
Actually Im pretty fond of Maruska
I was actually thinking of a more aqua colour for painting the hull topside in autumn

Today the main and mizzen went off to the sailmakers for repair and some modification, and a sailbag for the main is also in plan. The mizzen is still quite crisp and seems a heavier material than the factory main, which requires repair principally to the trailing edge of the sail. Some more serious splits at the top of the sail require attention too.

After they return the rig can be tuned with new lazy jacks, and the triadic can be fitted to the mizzen. For the time being Im seeing what I can do about making my own endplate for the heat exchanger and in fixing/replacing the alternator. These and the fuel tank are my main problems for the moment.

One quite small win was in finding a step for the dock to be able to get aboard more easily, and in putting new rubber feet on it to protect the boat. Seems such a small thing but it really does make a difference.

Hull #103

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
Just a few hours today, general look around and assessment of the electrics including some very grungy bus bars, dodgy light fittings, and near suicidal AC wiring around the water heater. Also tried getting some charge back into the house battery, only lifted it a volt or two. And still dealing with sporadic spills from that damn leaky fuel tank, I need to empty the thing somehow and get it over with.

Hull #103

S/V AMITY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:36 PM »
   When you clean up or replace the buss bars, you might want to give them a spray of this:  https://ihiqa2kjxfb4dhp9872la1cm-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ff_brochure.pdf .

I keep a rattle can or two of it aboard & have had excellent results in keeping connections clean & bright.  Excellent salt fog resistance.

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »
Thanks very much, it looks like just what I need.

The sails are back from the sailmakers now, and look like they will suffice a years working up the boat around SA waters
The main was almost entirely retabled and some changes to allow more modern jiffy reefing
Mizzen is back on her boom already. These sails are 40 years old and include the boats hull number, should make quite a picture
Spoke to the sailmakers about tuning the rig too, bit of work there I expect.

Ive been focussed upon cleaning up below to make being aboard more likeable, and partly in reparation for selling the 3 burner stove and oven.
And getting some sufficient charge into the AGM home battery, as sea trials are coming within sight.

A Westerbeke alternator is on its way from the states and should arrive in a week or two
Already I seem to have a crew of experienced people to take her to sea, ... odd how this happens
To make them more at home the head is now serviceable and pressure water system is operating.
I dont have any electronics so its down to hand held sat-nav and paper

But this week, I need to cut that fuel tank in half to get it out of the boat through the sail locker
and replace the thing in the interim with a smaller auxiliary tank to get her through to winter.
Its not going to be easy as the cut will happen with a simple jig saw
it means putting plenty of water and soap into the tank which will inevitably find its way into the bilge.

To add to my woes its going to be over 100F, just to add some memorable discomfort
shall try to remember to get some pictures
Hope I dont blow myself to bits ... but even that ... wouldnt be the first time ...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:14:03 PM by ZULU40 »
Hull #103

S/V AMITY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »
  She looks great posing there at the dock all neat & tidy... only an owner knows what "interesting" projects lurk behind the gleaming topsides and spotless deck.  Hopefully that fuel tank chore will be the last of the truly miserable jobs you'll be facing though rebuilding a head which contain the leavings of the last person to avail themselves of its service comes a real close second.

Pictures of that tank removal adventure would be good.  Sooner or later all 365's face the same operation.

Cheers!

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
the photos lie a bit, her finish isnt that pure, but come our autumn (fall) ...

I still havent got to the tank as the weather has been a bit horrendous. Its been like 107F here for a week but looks like cooling down to the 90s somewhere for a few days this week. Today the electrical connections to the mast were sorted out and she now has running lights, bow light and anchor light. Both the bow light and anchor light are now LEDs, I have in plan that the running lights will follow. The stainless from the galley stove is back from home to make it sparkle a bit, doesnt seem to have had much use.

A bit of a shock as on checking the mast she was pushing well forward, but a few hours with a 2lb hammer and suitable rests pushed the step 3/4" forward, taking out the sag in the furling genoa and bringing the mast bolt upright. I have to lose the water in the forward tank to adjust the trim for an empty fuel tank. Once the backstays are fully tight Im expecting we will be in the right place. Bill Shaw suggested the halyard loose from the sail should fall 6-12" aft of the mast.

Had a good win with a small fuel tank that will do until I pull the engine and put in a replacement. It checks out at 27 ltrs thats about 7.1 US gallons. Probably good for 12 hours steaming it will get us sailing in the gulfs through to KI (Kangaroo Island). Can supplement with a gerry can for an additional 20 litres which should keep me out of trouble.

So here is Zaya with her running lights, anchor light and bow light on, and the stove with her fresh brightwork
Will probably sell the stove for a metho unit and a microwave, but maybe not just yet.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:38:56 PM by ZULU40 »
Hull #103

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Well today was a bit of a disaster. Its ok in your living room thinking how to get a job done, quite another when you go do it. The mission was to cut the tank in halves to get it out through the sail locker which is only about a foot wide. Armed with a jigsaw and drill I came to realise that I wouldnt be able to get all around the tank because the jigsaw height wont allow it to clear protruding engine parts like the pump at the forward end, and the frame for the steering gear aft. So the next idea was to cut the roof off the tank, but the steering gear from the edson is in the way that way. So now Im down to half the roof. It means cutting the thing into bits which will greatly lengthen the time it takes, and other things.

Fire extinguisher at the ready I poured a about 5 gallons of water into the tank to suppress the flash point of remaining diesel, but of course it quickly found its way into the bilge. This thing has been leaking fuel into the bilge for what seems like forever, so I doubt there could have been mor than a few cups full. Still one needs to be careful, and then there are vapours (which seem to be gone by the smell)

The first cut on the starboard side went really fast, but it is noisy (there are marina limitations on too much noise). But the saw blades must have quickly dulled as the jig saw started hopping around and I couldnt hold it flat onto the tank. One blade actually broke. Im drilling 12mm holes at the start of each cut beginning with a 3/16" pilot hole and progressively going up to the 12mm bit to be able to get the jigsaw blade in. The material looks to be around 1/8" sheet or plate or a little less (maybe 16 gauge which makes it sheet), although its thin, parts of it are quite hard for mild steel plate.

Tomorrow I shall get some better blades (I hope) and have another try

Some images
1/ stbd side forward looking across the tank
2/ port side forward looking across
3/ stbd side with 12mm pilot hole, which enabled me to cut both ways across the tank. The framing means the cut has to go upwards aft.
4/ stbd side, more cheese. Holes drilled to allow cuts around which enabled me to see all the fuel and water has gone. Once I get this part of the roof off I can cut the front half off from the inside, not sure how to approach the rest but for today it was too dark to continue.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:08:50 AM by ZULU40 »
Hull #103