Author Topic: Racor filter placement  (Read 102 times)

DeanA

• View Profile
    • Email
Racor filter placement
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
We are relatively new owners of a 365 (1978) which we bought in Sept. We have a substantial number of projects in mind but really got to get on top of fuel handling. The previously owners just had a small inline fuel filter between an electric fuel pump and the 40hp Westebeke engine. We are buying a Racor 500 filter based on favorable notes in the forum. What location are you mounting this filter?
Thanks for your input!
Dean

Rudderly Confused

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Racor filter placement
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 10:21:04 PM »
Mine is on the bulkhead just to the port side of the engine.  It may be hard to tell from the picture but it is as close to the engine as possible.  The right side is the inlet from the tank, the left is the outlet to the lift pump.  The pic is before I took it all apart to clean and change the filter cartridge.  Thinking of adding a small electric pump between the Racor and the lift pump to make bleeding easier.

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 12:35:12 AM »
Racor 500 mounted at upper, fwd, inboard end of port cockpit locker. Vacuum gauge mounted just aft of filter, easy to monitor from cockpit.

Polishing system is independent of fuel deliver to engine and generator, valves can be switched to send polishing circuit to feed engine or generator

When I open the port cockpit hatch, the filter is right there at the top, easy to change filter

Not very good picture, but all I could find right now. Also attached is fuel deliver schematic.

DeanA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:08:39 AM »
Thanks very much to both of you for sharing your thoughts and pictures.
P69- Have you had much of an air leak issue into fuel having the filter well above the tank (near the lid of the port locker lid)?

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
Dean,

No problems with air, but my engine is a Universal 5444 and bleeds very easily. I just turn a knob on the injector pump;  I turn one way to bleed, other way to not bleed.  Makes no difference to the engine if its running or now. The valve is a bypass  (functions like  a gate valve) that, when open, sends ends some fuel around the injector pump to each injector and pulls off the air.   It's just a hose that connects the bypass valve to the first injector's return line. Fuel still runs through the high pressure pipes, so the air is bled off.

I also have a 12v pump to feed the engine.  Pump turns on when ignition bus is powered on.

There is a 2nd fuel pump for the polishing system, which can be diverted to feed the engine, if the primary deliver system fails.